Friday, September 11, 2009

The Shopping is making me crazy!

Well, we have been here for two days and I think the part I dislike the most is the shopping. First of all, everything is tremendously expensive! A liter of milk is about 1.50 euros. We are getting about $1.50 to every euro. That means I am paying about $2.25 for a quart of milk - or about $9 for a gallon! Needless to say, we are only drinking milk for cereal and a glass at dinner.

Secondly, as with any new grocery store, I can't find anything. So every trip takes twice as long as it would at home. Plus, we are walking, so anything I buy has to be carried home. Fortunately, there is a wheeled shopping bag here and it handles stairs very well. That was easier today.

Yesterday, I went shopping four times. In the morning, we went to the Campo di Fiori (outdoor market) to get tomatoes, basil, and fruit. On the way home at lunch, I stopped at 2 different stores, and acquired pasta, olive oil, Nutella, bread, and some sliced lunchmeat of sort. I couldn't find any kind of cheese to put on a sandwich, believe it or not! Finally, after John came home and we invited the grad students for dinner, we went to a big grocery store and found parmesan and provolone cheese, milk, garlic, cereal, and more pasta and tomatoes.

I think this is going to be the hardest part of our adventure!

-Terri

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, you don't have the spread sheet for Standa yet. You'll do fine just have a lot of patience.
    We miss you guys and I love Paul's floor plan.

    ReplyDelete