Thursday, September 24, 2009

Rome in Ruins!

Ancient Rome in ruins!

Can't you guess? This part of Rome is more than 2000 years old! This is an area in Rome called the Forum. The Forum is part of an Ancient Roman city. Here's a picture of it.

There is very little of the city left. In the picture you can see three arches with a plaque on top. This is called a Triumphal Arch. My mom is going to write more about this arch. Do you remember Palatine Hill from "Paul's Thoughts"? Well, the Forum is right next to it. Unfortunately, we haven't visited Palatine Hill yet.

In the Forum, there's a lot of rubble and foundations of old buildings. One thing I learned about was a purple stone called Porfery. Porfery is rare and used to show that someone or something is important. I saw a statue made of Porfery. It had no head and no arms and was in a building somebody restored. I don't know who the statue was of, but he or she must have been important. I will take more pictures of porfery when I see them.

-Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment