Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Homesick

I am so homesick! I miss Holy Cross so much. I miss all my friends there and my teachers. I miss my grandma and grandpa and my cat, Mr. Flynn. I miss Aunt Kathy and family friends too. I miss everyone that I left in the United States.

If you have never been homesick, it is a really horrible feeling. It just makes you want to cry all the time. I don't like it when I have to talk about home because it makes me feel like I want to cry again. I miss my street and my house and I wish I had gotten to meet the new neighbors that moved in next door to my house in South Bend. I miss the toys that I left at home. I miss my friends there too.

It just isn't the same living in Italy. It is so weird because everyone is speaking a different language. There is trash everywhere. (See future blog entry on trash.) Everybody is smoking everywhere and I am not used to the buses and trains. I am not used to the sirens. I am not used to living in a big, busy city. I think it would have helped if I had lived in Chicago. I am not used to walking in streets the size of alleyways with cars going down them. I always think the cars are going to run over my toes!

I just miss home so much!

-Elizabeth

4 comments:

  1. Elizabeth,
    I just want you to know that South Bend is the same, your house on South Street looks great, and we look forward to your return. But do this for Old "Mr. Sullivan"...enjoy the gelato, the historic buildings and the chance to live in an amazingly different place for just a little while. Ciao bella, Dan Sullivan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Elizabeth,
    You are brave to share these feelings. Know that home is also where your mom and dad and brother and sister are, and so despite being in a new place with losts of new things to learn, with mom and dad,and Paul and Grace, home is still with you. Your friends, your cat, your neighbous your house, your street, your toys will all be waiting for you. It is great to have the chance to be in a different place for a while. Imagine all the stories you will have to share...
    Fr. David

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mrs Mellor,

    I miss you so much and so does Ryan.

    Sincerly,

    Tori Sanders

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Elizabeth-

    Just think about how you are bringing Rome to your friends! James has told me how much your class is enjoying reading your blog, and how it must be both exciting and weird to be in a different country. When I see your pictures and hear your stories it takes me back to when I was there, and oh how I miss it so much! Your stories have blessed me, and has brought back those fond memories of mine, it makes me smile. We will say a prayer that you won't be so homesick. Ciao and eat a gelato for me!

    ReplyDelete