Friday, December 11, 2009

Switching Teachers

We will have some big transitions when we get home, especially when it comes to teaching and learning.

Paul and Elizabeth have had one teacher for this whole semester - me! We've done reading, writing and math, but most of our learning has been "out in the field". We've learned about Roman and Italian history, emperors, churches, buildings...the list goes on and on. It has been fascinating to see how different churches are from one another. We have learned a lot about architecture and architects around the city, studying as many works as we could by Michelangelo, Bernini, and Borromini. Paul and Elizabeth even put together a PowerPoint presentation about Michelangelo that they are excited to share when they get home. Lots of our learning has been "living". We've learned enough Italian to get around, and how to shop for, cook, and eat Italian food. Paul and Elizabeth have learned how to navigate around the city on foot, as well as public transportation, and have become excellent photographers!

Now they are heading back to Holy Cross School where there are lots of kids in their classes and they have to switch between several teachers. They will have homework and a much stricter schedule of working. They will have to get up and go to bed early and wear a uniform again! Finally, they will be back with all of their friends and the people they have missed so much!

My teaching is going to change too. I have only had three students this fall. (Grace gets out her workbooks each day and works on her "schoolwork".) I just received the exciting news this week that I am going back to teach 4th and 5th grade at Elm Road School in January! I am thrilled! I just cannot wait to share all the exciting stories of experiences we have had here. I have books that are in Italian, as well as many travel books about the places we have visited. Not to mention all the photographs we have! Oh, there is so much to share with those 4th and 5th graders!

Now, they will have to be patient with me too, because I might get a little mixed up! I might call them "ragazzi" instead of "young people" and when we are trying to go somewhere, I might say, "Andiamo!" I might also answer "Si" instead of "yes" or say, "attenzione!" when I need them to watch out for something! I am sure that they will either catch on quickly or help get me on the right track!

Yes, it will be an interesting transition, but I think everyone will do fine. We are packing in as much "Rome" as we can into these final days and looking forward to sharing our experiences with everyone.

-Terri

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait until you come back to 4\5 at Elm Road, so I can have you for T.E.

    Blake Mattucci
    Mrs. Cooks Class

    ReplyDelete