Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Monet's Water Lilies in Paris


I have been to Paris several times in my life, and on this trip, I wanted to make sure I saw something new that I had not seen before. One of the new things I saw was the Orangerie Museum that holds Monet's Water Lilies. Absolutely amazing!

The museum has two eliptical shaped rooms that hold the paintings. I wish I had taken a photo of the rooms to make it easier to describe it to everyone. The doorways to the rooms are on the diagonal and the paintings are inbetween. There are eight paintings, one on each of the walls.
The paintings are only about six feet tall, but are as long as 55 feet! What we see in books and on notecards of his paintings are really just close-ups, similar to these two pictures I took.
I have always enjoyed Monet's work, and especially love the Water Lilies series. In person, it is so much more beautiful than what I have seen in books. There are benches in the center of the room, and it is nice and quiet. I really could have sat and relaxed in the gallery for a very long time, just soaking in the beauty.


-Terri




No comments:

Post a Comment